Please read the information provided below by the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission regarding consumers concerns about aged care services, their families, carers and representatives.

Contact the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission:

How can the Aged Care Quality
and Safety Commission
help me?

We can assist with concerns about the quality of care or services you are receiving from aged care providers funded by the Australian government. 

You can give feedback about your care and check a service against quality standards, and raise concerns about aged care services you are receiving in an aged care home, or your home; this includes:

  • Residential care, or residential respite care

  • Home Care packages

  • Commonwealth Home Support Program

  • Flexible Care, incl. Transition Care, and the National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Flexible Aged Care Program.

Your concerns or feedback may relate to any care or services provided to you by the service, including personal or clinical care, choice of activities discrimination, catering, communication or the physical environment. 

Who can raise a concern?

Anyone can raise a concern.
We encourage you to raise your concern with the service provider first.

This includes people receiving aged care, partners, family, representatives, friends, advocates, staff and volunteers. 

If you are raising a concern about the aged care someone else is receiving, please ensure the person (or their representative) is first made aware. 

If you cannot resolve your concern with the service provider, contact the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission on 1800 951 822. The complaints service is free. 

Concerns are examined regardless of a person's cultural background, disability, gender, sex and gender identity, sexual orientation or any other status. 

What happens when I contact
the Aged Care Quality
and Safety Commission

The process, the resolution options available and what can be achieved are explained. 

The focus is on resolving your concern in the best interest of the person receiving aged care. 

Please provide as much information as you can when contacting us, as this helps us to understand your issues and expectations. 

We will select the options most likely to achieve the best outcome, based on the nature of your concern and the risk to the person receiving care. 

In some cases, we will ask the service provider to resolve your concern. We can also use other options, such as conciliation, mediation and investigation.

Do I need to provide my name?

No. You can submit your complaint anonymously or confidentially. 

However, this can limit what we can do to help, so it is best to submit your concern openly. 

We can examine the differences between open, anonymous and confidential complaints when you call. 

This information can also be found at

Is other support available?

Advocacy may be able to help you.


An advocate can:

  • provide you with information about your rights and responsibilities

  • help you to raise your issues with us or the service provider

  • support you at any stage during the complaints process.


Advocacy is free, independent and confidential. An advocate will always seek your permission before taking action.


You can call the National Aged Care Advocacy line on 1800 700 600, or, with your permission, we can phone an advocacy agency on your behalf to explain your concerns and arrange for the agency to contact you.

More information

If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment, call: 1800 555 677 (National Relay Service) and ask for 1800 951 822

If you need an interpreter, please call: 131 450 (Translation and Interpreting Service) and ask for 1800 951 822

More information about aged care

The My Aged Care website and national contact centre have been established by the Australian Government to help you navigate the aged care system. 

They can provide you with information on aged care for yourself, a family member, friend or someone you're caring for.